Servicing Major Brands
- Garage Door Spring Repair
- Garage Door Cable Repair
- Garage Door Opener Repair
- Garage Door Falling Out Of Tracks
- Heavy Garage Doors
- Noisy Garage Doors
- Garage Door Tracks Repair & Replacement
- Garage Door Roller Repair
- Garage Door Panels Repair & Replacement
- Commercial Sales, Service & Installations
- Garage Door Opener Installations
- Garage Door Installations
- Commercial Garage Door Repair
Your garage door is one of the most overlooked, but important parts of your home. From keeping out unwanted animals and critters, to protecting the possessions in your garage, to protecting your home during strong storms, your garage door does a lot. But it’s also one of the most vulnerable parts of your home because it is not exactly a solid wall, and it has many mechanisms that have to work together and have to be properly maintained.
At J & S Overhead Garage Door Service, we provide same-day garage door repair in Virginia Beach and throughout Hampton Roads because we know that when a garage door is broken it is not just a nuisance, it is an emergency. After a long and stressful day, coming home to a garage door that is broken makes things even worse. That’s why we will get a technician out to you as quickly as possible. Repair services can last for a few minutes or a few hours, so it is a quick process for us to get your garage door back on track
Signs That You Need A New Garage Door
Like most other pieces of technology, your garage door will show signs when it needs maintenance or replacement. These signs include:
- Opening or closing very slowly: when the springs in your garage door are not properly lubricated and have developed some rust, then your door will not be able to move. A slow door is also a sign the motor could be burning out.
- Strange noises: If your garage door is suddenly making new noises then it’s possible that the tracks have gotten loose and need to be tightened. Keep in mind that the noise may not be extremely loud, so if you notice even a small sound, it’s worth giving us a call at J & S Overhead Garage Door Service to find out what’s causing the issue.
- Rattling or shaking: There are a number of reasons why a door could begin to shake or make a rattling sound. It could be a problem with the tracks, with bolts or with the springs. You will need to contact us in order to evaluate your garage door and find out exactly why it is making the noise.
- Sagging: a sagging, cracked or drooping garage door may be a sign of loose brackets or bolts. If your garage door was hit by a car or another object then it could crack around the brackets or braces, and that could cause some sagging or flexing.
Common Reasons Why Garage Doors Break
As you know, the springs are responsible for opening and closing your garage doors. What you may not know is that they hold the most tension when they are down, and less tension when the garage door is open. When a button or code is pushed to trigger opening the door, the tension in the springs is released which is what allows the door to lift.
But when the garage doors are in the closed position, which is when it has the most tension, that is also the most likely time for a garage door to break.
The most common reason for garage doors breaking is simply due to wear and tear. The springs in garage doors are manufactured to only last up to a certain amount of cycles, typically around 10,000. A complete cycle is when the garage door opens and then closes again after use. And while this may seem like a lot, keep in mind that for most people they use their garage door twice a day, five days a week just by going to work. Over the years of owning your garage door, all of those cycles can add up.
Another cause of garage door failure is due to rust on the springs. The corrosion on the springs can weaken the coils as they complete more cycles with continued use. Using a lubricant can help maintain your garage doors and prevent them from rusting.
Preventing Garage Door Problems
Here are some tips to help maintain your garage doors so they last a long time and need
- Always discontinue operating the garage door at the first sign or sound that something is wrong with it to prevent further damage or injury.
- Apply a silicon-based lubricant to the springs on your garage door at least 3 to 4 times a year.
- Use the front door more often than your garage door to enter and exit your home.
- Have regular garage door maintenance performed to keep the garage door in good and safe operating condition.
Preparing Your Garage Door Before Storms
Homeowners in the eastern, low lying areas of Virginia Beach and other cities in Hampton Roads that are prone to flooding often ask what can be done for their garage door to protect their home from hurricanes or storm surges. If you are in an area that is prone to flooding then give us a call so we can come out and assess your garage door and then recommend the appropriate type of weatherstripping for your garage door.
One thing that is very important for homeowners to do that is often overlooked before hurricanes or strong storms is to make sure that your garage door doesn’t have any cracks in it and that it closes all the way at the bottom. If there is a gap at the bottom, then air can get in and blow your garage door out. Compared to the rest of your house, your garage door is much more light weight, which is why it is more susceptible to wind damage.
About J & S Overhead Garage Door Service
We are based in Virginia Beach but happy to serve clients throughout the Hampton Roads area. We provide round-the-clock service because we understand that if you’ve got to get to work, or are just coming home from a long day, that you don’t want to be stressing out over a broken garage door. Give us a call and we can come right out for an evaluation, repair, or replacement.Book Appointment